Monday, November 8, 2010

Inquiry-based learning (Reflection of week 6)

     There is an old saying says: "Tell me and I forget, show me and I remember, involve me and I understand"
     From here comes the idea of Inquiry-based learning which means learning is mainly involving the learner and leading him to understand. Inquiry here implies on the possessing skills and attitude of yours, which allows you to ask questions about new resolutions and issues while you are gaining new information.
     Personally, I tried this type of learning in my classes last year, it was in specific area in ICT "creating movies using movie maker", I can say it was totally success experience and all of my students create amazing movies using this program.
     First I asked the students if they know anything about movie maker program, after that I evaluate their skills at that area, then I asked them to set in groups and search through the internet and try to find tips that is going to help them to improve themselves in that area.
    Finally, I discuss with them about this strategy of learning, they all agree and enjoy it and they said that they learn more because they create something and understand it; even they are able after the lesson to evaluate themselves and their movies.
    Now, when I think about the whole situation in applying this type of learning, I see that my role was a facilitator and motivator, also I surprised when I see what my students create it was amazing and they work hard to create the best.
    
In my opinion Inquiry-based learning is focusing in what the students know and try to improve it, build on what they know and interested in and encourage meta-cognitive thinking that’s why I decide to apply it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment